Sunday, November 1, 2009

When Lucy Fell

This isn’t a “happy” post, because for the first time AD (after diagnosis), I’m having a negative day.  And, since I promised I’d tell the truth in this blog, here we go.

I’ve been estranged from my family for over 10 years.  It’s a long, sad story, but I have no interest in trashing them.  However, I realized that since I’m sharing this with the world, they would find out.  I decided to send them an email, but I didn’t want it to be an invitation into my life again.  I told them everything, & then I said that at this point, all we share is DNA.  I mean, what would you call it if you haven’t spoken to your entire family for 13 years?  I said that I would really appreciate it if they wouldn’t contact me.

Well, my sister got her panties in a knot & wrote a smarmy email.  I guess it was important to her to “teach me a lesson”.  Apparently, she was offended by the DNA comment.  But, rather than teach me a lesson, she illustrated, rather brilliantly, why I no longer speak to them.  For that, I thank her.

I’m going to allow myself this day to be bummed out.  Not because of them – I won’t give them that type of power in my life.  But because I really haven’t slowed down.  I need to search my heart & come to terms with how I feel about losing my breast. 

Sometimes, Lucy falls.

No comments:

 
My guestbook