Wednesday, July 28, 2010

I'm a blessed Lucy

I'll write about what happens in radiation next.  First, though, I felt that this entry needed to be made.

Thank you so much to those of you who've been following my journey.  I've received so many comments on my blog, Facebook messages & supportive emails, that I honestly don't know how to say thank you.  Some of you have confided in me, shared your experiences with me & have been my cheerleaders – even though you may not have even met me.  And I count myself as one of the most fortunate women in the world because of it.

I was thinking about this as my daughter, Elyse, was driving me to & from my radiation appointment.  I still struggle with neuropathy, & I occasionally take pain medicine for it.  Although, if I'm being honest, I can't WAIT to not have to take it.  I really, really don't get what people are talking about when they say they feel "high".  Really?  High?  Holy cows, it just tires my old butt out.  If I take one of those things, I'd better be near a bed & soon.  Cause it just makes me sleepy (& from what you've been telling me, you feel the same way.  What's up with that?).  But I digress.

Both of my babies have been shuttling me to most of my appointments.  They feel like they're helping – and they are.  They don't feel as helpless when they're doing something; even if it's driving me around from appointment to appointment.  Good Lord, I've been blessed with my family.

I've been fortunate in that I work from my home.  Not everyone has that luxury.  When I've been tired, I slept in.  When I was sick, I was in my own bathroom or bed.  When my hair, lashes & eyebrows fell out, it was within the privacy of my home.  When I couldn't make dinner, precious friends & family brought it to me.  Throughout all of this, I was able to deal with it safely ensconced in my house.  Most women (& men) aren't so lucky.

YOU, strong ladies, are the reason I write this entry.

Your stories have been imprinted on my heart, & I'll never forget that you felt comfortable enough to share them with me.  I can't fathom having to go through cancer, whether it be breast, colon, or any other kind, & have to go to work.  With all the crap that's cancer, you've managed to get up every morning & attend to all that you have on your plate.  Your stories have both inspired & humbled me. 

Thank you for sharing your struggles, your triumphs, & most importantly, your spirit with me.  I can't believe I've been given such a tremendous gift as to hear your stories.  I hope that sharing them with me has helped you, if only in the teeniest way.  I'm here if you need to vent, cry, brag, or share your frustrations with.  And I'll feel lucky to hear them.

To all the strong women out there, I salute you.  Your courage has been an inspiration to me.  Thank you.

No comments:

 
My guestbook