Thursday, March 4, 2010

Second Chemo

Had the chemo, & got my Neulasta shot yesterday.   I’ve got a headache that just won’t quit, though, but, so far, the major pain hasn’t started.  Matt, God love him, reminded me that it was the day after the shot that the major pain started.  Yippee.  Not.

But, I’m taking my nurse’s advice, which seems to be working so far (knock on wood).  I’m taking Claritin allergy medicine.  I forgot why it’s supposed to work, but it’s supposed to channel the excess white blood cells.  Where they’re headed, I’m not sure, but I’m just glad that they’re not hanging around my lower back – yet.  If I can get them to go somewhere productive & not painful, I’m a happy camper.

And speaking of pain – I’m so mad I could eat babies!  Dr. Seisholtz is a good man, but, boy, did he irritate me!  He said that “most patients don’t react to Neulasta the way that you do”.  Um, excuse me?  Gee, I’m sorry that my body goes into agonizing pain when I get that shot.  Plus, I DO read other blogs & many women report the same thing.  It KILLS them!  I have a lot more to say about that (as you all know I do), but not tonight. 

OK, just one thing.  I think that oncologists should have to take that shot.  Then maybe they’d have an idea of what some people go through.  It’s just that some doctors have all the sympathy of an apex predator with a toothache.  Just saying.


On the bright side, though, Neulasta is a weapon in the doctor's arsenal that they didn't have before.  Thanks to its super powers, white blood cell counts are raised, which counteract the many ill effects of chemo.  Before Neulasta, cancer patients were subject to every infection that they came into contact with.  So, even though I absolutely hate it, I'm very grateful that it exists.  One day soon, though, I plan to bite it back!

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Press on, Sister! Thank you for using your pain for others' gain!

 
My guestbook