Thursday, April 1, 2010

Finished the BIG TWO! Woo Hoo!

Sorry I haven’t written for a while.  Things have been weird, but here’s the cancer update.  I have more to tell you, & I should have that up by later today or tomorrow.  If I can stay awake – yesterday was the Neulasta shot – buger.

I finished the “big two” of my chemo, Adriamycin & Cytoxan.  They’re the two that made me lose my hair.  So far, though, I haven’t lost too much of my eyelashes & none (that I’ve noticed) of my eyebrows.  So, in my zeal to be prepared, I’ll have an extra set of eyebrows (see “Eyebrows, & lashes, & wigs, oh my!”).  Oh, well, I’ll keep them.  Maybe as I age, they’ll come in handy.  At the very least, Dakota can use them for costumes. 

Next up is Taxol that I’ll have to have every week, which is a huge pain in the rear!  We’re not sure if I’ll have to have a shot of Neulasta after each one of those treatments, though.  They’re going to run a blood test after my first one, I think, & that’ll determine whether or not I have to keep having them.  If you’re a praying sort, would you pray that I don’t ever need that shot again?  It really is the worst of chemo.

The chemo itself makes me really, really tired.  But the other meds that they give you almost (I stress almost) make up for the other side effects: nausea, diarrhea, & a whole bunch of other unseemly side effects.  And, as much as I hate Neulasta, it kept my white blood cell count up, which kept me from getting every sickness that came down the pike.

After the 12 weeks of Taxol, radiation therapy is up.  I’ll have to do that 5 days a week for 6 weeks.  I’m not too nervous about that, though, even though it’s supposed to wreak havoc on your skin.  I think that with all the advance preparation I’ve been doing (vitamin E & C, Bio-oil, & another one that Dr. Morrissey suggested); I should get through that ok.  Plus, it doesn’t take that long.  The nurse said it’ll take longer for me to drive to the hospital than to get the therapy. 

So, if everything goes according to plan (& there are no more nasty infections), I should be done with my chemo & stuff by September.  That’ll be great, because it’s both my birth month, & we go to the house in Bushkill at that time of the year.  I don’t think I posted pictures of the kids with the deer up there.  I’ll try to add that to this blog sometime this week – giggle!

We’ll see how long it’ll take Dr. Morrissey to construct some new boobies.  But, wouldn’t it be a swell Christmas present?  I’ve reconsidered the size thingy – I want some honkers!  Well, maybe, I don’t know.  Depends on what I have to go through to get them.  Let you know when we get closer to that.  Still, boobs that I have to separate to get a look at my feet don’t sound all that bad.  Especially after having regular ol’ sized ones for my whole life.  Just saying.

OK, look for “God Beads” next!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"If you’re a praying sort, would you pray that I don’t ever need that shot again? "

ABSOLUTELY. I will pray for that often for you!

 
My guestbook