Monday, June 25, 2012

Relay for Life Part One


As I mentioned in my last update (what, two, three weeks ago? – yikes!), was invited to New Hope to speak at a Relay for Life event. Gotta tell ya’, I’m OK at speaking when it comes to my work or at homeschool functions. Speaking – out loud – about my experience with cancer was odd. And I know you’re thinking that I’ve pretty much lost my mind; I’ve told you every little thing that’s happened along this journey of mine. But there’s a difference – a dumb one, but a difference nonetheless.

I was asked to speak about it in my capacity as a columnist with AOL’s Patch, who I write for. I was concerned because I didn’t want to be known as that breast cancer survivor who writes a humor column for Patch. I want to be known as the humor columnist, who also happened to beat breast cancer. That may sound like one and the same, but not to me & my addled brain.

Now, here’s the REALLY weird catch – I wouldn’t have been asked to speak had I not spilled my battle with cancer to my readers at Patch. I never once considered sharing this journey with Patch readers. Like I said, I wanted to keep both things separate. For some reason, though, on Mother’s Day, I felt a need to write about it. If you’d like to read the article, click here.

I have no idea why, I have no idea that the timing would prove significant, I just knew it was time to tell my story to my Patch readers. I have a strong faith in God; you simply can’t go through the type of Hell that I went through without either having it strengthened or forging the beginnings of that faith. For me, it was simply a natural progression in my journey.

Don’t get me wrong; I had days when I railed against God. More specifically, when I was enduring my third surgery for the MRSA infection I contracted during the mastectomy.  And even more so when I was in the hospital for almost a week with the wound kept open, having the packed bandages changed twice a day, and watching a beautiful snow fall outside my window. I was so lonely, because my family & I love snow storms. We pop corn, light a fire, and watch as the snow drifts to the ground, turning the world into a magical wonderland. I was angry as I sat in my hospital bed alone, knowing that my family was home, missing me there with them. Thankfully, it was a hissy fit and I got over it. You really kind of have to put it into perspective – I was ALIVE.

Alive.

Many women didn’t survive this disease, and the odds were even worse for women who had it at the stage I did. I still have demons I battle, and I’ll tell you more about them. But for right now, I’ve digressed – big time.

So, due to my decision to share my battle with my Patch readers, Linda Pickett saw it and asked me to come and speak.

I’ve never been to a Relay for Life event before. I’m just now getting mobile again, in between reconstruction surgeries. But I was impressed by the people there. We walked around, and saw all the tents that were pitched. The camaraderie was palpable. Still, I’ll be honest, I was uneasy. Goes back to that whole keeping my identity separate. Hey, I’m a super hero in my own mind – keeping my two identities separate.

Come on, give me a break – I’m old. I can have delusions of grandeur once in a while, can’t I?



Part Two, where I tell you all about the awesome people I met there, coming by the weekend!!

No comments:

 
My guestbook