Thursday, October 29, 2009

And now, for something completely different

If you keep reading my drivel, you may notice something about me.  I’m very easily distracted.  In fact . . . .  ooh, look, a pretty bird.  So, I decided to take some time to tell you about a typical day AD (after diagnosis).

With everything that's been going on, I forgot all about Elyse having to take her PSSA's (standardized testing) today.  She’s a senior at PA Cyber, a cyber charter school. I got a phone call from some jerk saying that she needs to get up there – it’s a half hour drive.  I explained what's going on, & that I was trying to schedule a pre-op MRI.  Of course, I’d hoped that he would say something human like, “oh, then, we’ll discuss this later”.  But, noooooo.  He was a raging jerk.  He told me that she has to get up there tomorrow or we'll have to take her to Harrisburg or Philly to take them.  It’s probably a good thing that we don’t have teleportation technology.  I’d have had Elyse up there all right – with a gigantic pencil to stick up his jerky little… well, you get the idea.

When I told Matt, he hit the roof, started screaming, & said "pull her out [of the Cyber School].  She can get a GED."  Then Elyse started freaking out & crying, & of course, Aubrie gets into the mix.  She & her sister are very close – if one is upset, the other is too.

I managed calm all of them down, & called the Director of the school (I profiled the school in the paper & he really liked the story).  I left a message for him.  I then call my family doctor to discuss changing one of my medicines on the house line, when the Director of the Cyber School called on my cell.  I had to get off the phone with the doctor, take the call from Director, & put out that fire.

I called the doctor back, & we were going over my options, when Aubrie started bellowing from downstairs (we own Palm Business Center & we live above it).  Here, someone was on the phone for me downstairs, even though I have no idea how they got that number.  I was rushing to get off the phone with the doctor to take the other call, & I managed to do it.  Unfortunately, by the time I got the other phone, whoever it was had hung up.  Then, my cell rings again.  I thought maybe it was the MRI people, but it was something different. The next thing I know the house phone rings & it's radiology to set up the MRI.  Then, while I'm on with MRI people, the plastic surgeon's office called on my cell, to get insurance information.

When it was finally over, I was exhausted.  I felt like I’d just run a marathon.  Tell ya’ what; the hospital stay is looking more like a vacation!  Only, with pain, lousy food and . . . ooh, look, the “Who my Baby Daddy” show is on!

No comments:

 
My guestbook